- Cut onions into half inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin and fry until it turns light brown.
- Add onions and stir fry until it is soft.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and continue frying until the tomatoes are cooked through and blended in with the onions.
- Cool the onion and tomato mixture and then grind it in a blender.
- Heat the pan again and add the blended onion mixture.
- Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, dried mint and garam masala.
- Stir the onion - spice mixture continuously for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the black eyed peas.
- Add salt.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Simmer until the peas are thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with indian bread or basmati rice.